PTA Meeting Minutes 10/13/20
Board Members in Attendance:
-Kari Hall (President)
-Sara Smith (Vice President)
-Jody Vranek (Treasurer)
-Jen Macomber (Secretary)
-Jen Caruso (PTACHC Rep)
-Kelly Rende (PTACHC Rep
BBES Administrators in Attendance:
-Rhonda Inskeep (Principal)
-Heather Tracy (Vice President)
Meeting was Called to Order: 6:35 pm
Administration Remarks (Mrs. Inskeep and Ms. Tracy)
- Thank you to all parents and guardians for their support with online learning
- Early dismissal schedule varies slightly (Friday 10/16)
- The monitor drive was successful, all staff members who requested a monitor received one
- Virtual conferences w/reading teachers are coming up – look for info about signing up in the near future
- Administrators will be holding Lunch Bunches for new students K-2 and 3-5 in the near future
- Mrs. Strauss (front office secretary) will be retiring at the end of October
- *MAP testing was successful – 95% of student participated, 50 kids need makeups the week of 10/19
- PBIS Updates: The PBIS committee is brainstorming ideas to help students interact socially online, such as lunch bunches. There was a question if teachers can use ClassDojo to provide input to students. Admin said they cannot require teachers to use this program, though some do. All classes are working towards class rewards using the Beaver charts.
Treasurer Report (Jody Vranek)
- $25,609.16 in checking, around $6000 in savings
- Please complete the reimbursement form if needed – contact Jody Vranek with questions
- Classroom grants are still available, as well as grade level funds for each grade (staff can submit the grant form for grants or the reimbursement form for grade level funds)
- Jody will figure out the details of changing out officers on the PTA Bank Account
- Membership – can be paid by PayPal on the PTA website, can send a request for payment if needed
PTACHC Update (Jen Caruso and Kelly Rende)
- Future Elementary School #45 has been approved for Turf Valley
- There is an opportunity to submit questions to BOE Candidates
Diversity Committee (Shany Seawright)
- The Diversity Committee is looking for suggestions of events/info the community would like to see. Is there an interest in Culture Chats via video, Facebook, Google meets, etc.
- One suggestion given: Cooking series featuring different cultures where community members can share recipes/videos of how to make dishes from their culture
Spiritwear Sales (Jen Macomber)
- The sale was extended to Friday, 10/23. This will be the only opportunity to purchase items this school year. Items will come in a few weeks after the sale ends and will be given out in a drive through pickup.
Lunch Buddies (Lakesha Ott)
- The county is providing free meals for all children through the end of the school year, including breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
- Lakesha is looking to for volunteers to pick up meals for other BBES families 2x a week and to drop them off at their homes.
- An interest survey will be coming out soon. If you are interested in participating, please email email@example.com
Spirit Night (Wawa Mosier)
- Chipotle Spirit Night took place on Wed. 11/14 at the Columbia Location
- We will have one Spirit Night a month, other upcoming events will include Panera and Mod Pizza
- Please share if you have other restaurant ideas for Spirit Nights
- Jen M. will contact PVMS PTA for info on their Spirit Nights to avoid more overlapping events
Pumpkin Decorating Contest (Kari Hall)
- Families can submit pictures of carved or decorated pumpkins through Oct. 26th
- There will be an opportunity to vote on winners per grade and for staff participants
- Winners will receive a gift card
Pottery Stop Fundraiser (Jen Macomber)
- The school will have an assigned 2-day time frame where families can purchase pottery to go projects online or paint pottery in person at the Pottery Stop in Ellicott City. Pottery to go projects can be picked up at a later day but must be purchased during the time frame. You can then return them to the store to be fired.
- The PTA will receive 10% from all purchases.
- Looking at Nov. 11-12th time frame. More info to come.
Upcoming Events (Kari Hall)
- Virtual Talent Show: Students will have the chance to submit videos/photos of their talent, which will be compiled into a video shown at a PTA meeting. More info to come!
- Virtual Bingo – January
- Family Wellness Night (sponsored by the school, Mrs. Sanders(Smolarz), school psychologist) – 11/9/20 at 6 pm, will include Zoom presentations, raffles, presentations on mental health. Please RSVP as designated by info sent out by the school.